Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One Man, One Vote

At first I thought my letter to my city councilman to ask for his support to restore Ford School as a polling place. I mistakenly thought it really didn't have anything to do with education.

As is often is the case, I was wrong. Back home in WV I learned about the importance of our collective social responsibility of being involved in our government on the simplest of levels by observing people cast their ballots every election. Every election took place at our schools.

There is no better place to learn what it means to be a citizen. So I am going to share my letter.

14 Rock Avenue Apt. #3


Lynn, MA 01902
August 23, 2010



Councilman Trahant

215 Verona Street,

Lynn MA 01904

Dear Councilman William R. Trahant, Jr.,



I am writing to you today to request that you bring before council the restoration of the Ford School as a polling place. I have been in touch with Secretary of State Galvin’s office in regards to the proper procedure to follow when making this request.



Being a disabled citizen, it is an undue burden for me to travel to my present polling place when Ford School would be readily accessible for not only me but many other citizens in this ward in similar circumstances.



I realize these are tough times for the city but I am not talking about an economic issue but one of civil rights. Voting occurred at the Ford School recently and was removed because of noncompliance to ADA regulations for accessibility, specifically a wheelchair ramp.



Work has been completed and that issue has long been resolved. I have been in touch with the Disability Law Center and I am exploring the possibility of imitating some sort of legal action to insure that mine and others constitutional rights are upheld.



Sincerely
Stanley H. Wotring, Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment