Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Getting Some Credit

Even though I don't know the particulars of the the plan, but I applaud the effort. The "plan" I am talking about is the "credit recovery" one put in place through a grant written by Sue Rowe and Dennis Thompson. I believe it was a three year grant with escalating amounts.

It supposedly has been successful and Dr. Latham has ordered the purchase of some additional units. I am guessing it is some sort of computer based learning system. Being just a parent, some of the terminology is like a foreign language to me.

LSC member Donna Coppola testified about a teen mom she knew of that would have not been able to graduate that benefited from this program. I am glad she got her education because there is no future in waiting for an MTV reality show.

2 comments:

  1. The grant funds must be used to provide targeted remediation programs for high school students scoring in level 1 or 2 on the MCAS exam. The program must maintain the required 10:1 student-to-teacher ratio. The "purpose of this program shall be to improve students' performance on the MCAS exam through replication of services and educational strategies with proven results as determined by the Department."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there is grant money out there for "green" programs. It is all a shell game, we just need to be focused on our goals.

    ReplyDelete