Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Forget The Snow, Let's Talk About The Summer

Dr. Wary spoke at  the last LSC meeting about an exciting proposed program for summer school. Well they are going to try and package it as more of a summer camp. This middle school summer program will take place at Lynn Vocational Technical School.

More details will be forthcoming but it looks like it will be a normal half day summer school mixing core academics with access to all of the different shops (5?) at Lynn Tech. The program should be able to take 360 students and transportation will be provided.

Although normally since participation is not mandatory, summer school attendance is spotty at best. However there will be an aggressive advertising campaign complete with a video. In the past, Dr. Wary said that in the past they have had trouble getting all the slots filled but that may not be the case this year. Especially since not only is there a pool but it is AIR CONDITIONED. Sign me up, I'm ready to learn.

Once my slot is secure, I will offer you a little marketing advice: Preparation + Presentation = Persuasion.

4 comments:

  1. Is this a new summer school? I sure hope that students that could really use this time in school are encouraged and guided by their teachers to go. What a great chance for children that are overwhelmed in school during the year to get a fresh school experience to draw from. I hope every seat is occupied at this summer school. I wander if they are going to provide a summer school informational meeting for parents and children during the school year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this particular one is new. They promised more details at the next meeting. We will see, they seem committed to the idea. You are right about your perceptions of this opportunity. You are also right about the need for an informational meeting. Please convey your feelings to Dr. Latham so she can live up to her new title of :Woman of the Year". I am not sure she reads my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Wotring I don't live in Lynn, so I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable contacting Dr. Latham. But I just know from experience that the school system can be daunting to some families and these are the families that probably need summer school the most. I think reaching out to families that aren't aware of all the opportunities public schools afford their children takes courage and faith in oneself and others. I hope Dr. Latham has both of these characteristics, along with all the individuals involved with this venture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, call me Stan. You seem to have a good grasp on the realities facing children and families. Problems are the same everywhere, so are answers.

    ReplyDelete