Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2016

STOP SPITTING INTO THE WIND

COUNCIL RESOLVES TO KEEP CAP ON CHARTERS


No one has ever accused me of being a proponent of charter schools. I believe they are the equivalent to an educational ponzi scheme. That being said, I think this NON-BINDING RESOLUTION is nothing more than a slap in the face to the innocent kids who I believe will be participating in their first STUDENT GOVERNMENT DAY or at least so I'm told. The timing is just bad form but it doesn't surprise me. Not when you have a school department that verbally abuses and bullies disabled parents who happen to be poets.

The funny thing is that in the long run lifting the cap will be as disastrous for charter schools as it will for public schools. That's because with the further diluting of the the creme of the crop, test scores will necessarily go down and then they won't look so good. In the end niether side will have enough money to properly educate the kids.

BUT HEY, LET'S HAVE A "CEASE-FIRE" AND NOT RUIN A "ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME" EXPERIENCE FOR SOME KIDS!

4 comments:

  1. Does KIPP return 24 students each year as Mr. Lozzi claims? How many students per year leave LPS to go to other school districts allowing LPS to keep the funds? Also, LPS is not able to provide special educational services to students as well. In fact, if I am not mistaken, I believe $10 million of Lynn's budget for the public schools goes to out of district special education. Why no mention of these costs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well perhaps someone from the city council will enlighten us by providing the answers to such questions. Lynn's FY16 chapter 70 aid used October 1, 2014 pupil counts. (This lag in foundation enrollment is one of the main problems in my opinion). How many students enrolled in KIPP on October 1, 2014, are now enrolled in LPS? How many students enrolled in LPS on October 1, 2014, are no longer enrolled in LPS? It's interesting to me that people are quick to bring up charter schools being able to keep the funding when students leave, but there appears to never be any mention of local districts also being able to keep the funding when students leave. I wonder if LPS actually keeps more funding from students who have left than KIPP does?

    LPS enrollment increases by hundreds each year. I am sure LPS does not receive any funding for many of these students. I don't know what the figures are, but my guess is the number of students coming from other districts is far greater than the number of students coming from KIPP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are questions that do deserve answering. While I am not a fan of CHARTER SCHOOLS lets compare apples to apples.

      Delete